Monday, January 24, 2011

Dancing With the Lord

Whenever the cloud was taken up from above the tabernacle, the children of Israel would go onward in all their journeys. But if the cloud was not taken up, then they did not journey till the day that it was taken up. Exodus 40:36-37

The Lord gifted me in many areas. Dancing is not one of them. While all of my children share the gift with their dad, mom just got left out. Oh sure, I’ll break down and dance at the occasional wedding, but other than that, no thank you. Maybe I’m just not a good follower, but someone leading me around on a dance floor makes me feel awkward, uncomfortable and clumsy.

And, in a lot of ways, that was how I felt as a new Christian trying to learn to walk with the Lord. He made it relatively easy for the Israelites. Cloud - stay. No cloud - go. How hard could that have been?

It is a little more difficult when you have to listen for that still small voice. In my enthusiasm, there were many times I would get out in front of the Lord. My intentions were good. My results were questionable. Other times hesitation for lack of understanding caused missed opportunities. Both of those situations are regrettable. But, the worst case scenario is when “the dance floor” of life is so crowded that I never even hear the voice of God. It is drowned out by the barking dogs, the ringing phone, the endless emails, the busy schedule, the TV, the . . . . I’m sure you share my pain.

God isn’t going to send up a smoke signal or give you a billboard. (I’ve asked.) So, you have to learn to de-clutter your life, clean out your ears, and take the time to listen. There is no substitute for spending time with the Lord.

Lord, as the schedule of session gets more hectic, help me to jealously guard the spot I have for you on my dance card . Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment