Friday, January 14, 2011

Just for Me

My defense is of God, who saves the upright in heart. Psalm 7:10

Just so you know, this devotional is not targeted at anyone but myself. I trust the rest of you have mastered this principle and I am just playing catch up. So, enjoy as I lecture myself on what I know I ought to know.

The Speaker’s race we have just seen play out in Texas politics has been a difficult time for me spiritually. My loyalties have been divided as I have watched good men and women who love the Lord disagree on issues that many of them consider to be foundational issues. Friends have attacked friends, causing estrangements that will only heal by the grace of God. And, at the end of the day, the issue is not ended. There are fears of retaliation and retribution over positions taken.

To make it even worse, one of the candidates for speaker was a man whom I have known and admired for years for his faithfulness to do the right thing. And, it is that friendship which has brought me to the topic for today’s devotional.

When the discussions surrounding the speaker’s race begin to turn to would have, should have, and blaming I find myself picking up an offense on behalf of the candidates who challenged the sitting speaker - especially the one I know personally. Both of those men are godly men who were doing what they felt the Lord called them to do. Neither of them need me to defend their character or their motives - the Lord is their defense.

As is always the case, the Lord gives grace to those whom He calls into difficult situations. But often, I find that the same grace does not extend to those who are watching the events. So, once again, I remind myself today to put down any offenses I have picked up on behalf of others, and to commit to prayer those who are struggling with the outcome of the speaker election.

Lord, remind me today that You do not need any help defending those whom You have called to take a stand. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment