Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Yet I Will Rejoice

My daughter, a lover of books, always turns to the last page in a new book to read the ending when she first picks up a book. It is a habit I do not share in reading, but the principle applies in life. It is good to know how a situation is going to turn out.

At the Texas Legislature, the 82nd Legislature will be sworn in today. Over the next 140 days there will be “wars and rumors of wars.” There are hard decisions to make about re-districting, the budget, and a plethora of other issues to cause legislators to line up on one side or the other. In representing their districts, members may disagree with friends on how to vote on an issue.

It might be best for legislators and staff to settle in their minds today what the outcome will be in 140 days. We cannot know the results of the votes to be taken. But, like the prophet in the book of Habakkuk 3:17-18 we can declare:

Though the fig tree may not blossom,
Nor fruit be on the vines;T
Though the labor of the olive may fail,
And the fields yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls -
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.

There is no way to know what battles or circumstances will come our way this session. It doesn’t matter. As for me, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.

Lord, help us to remember that nothing happening around us is a surprise to You. Remind me to rejoice in You, regardless of my circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment