Monday, January 10, 2011

The Value of Wisdom

The 82nd Legislature commences tomorrow, and so I find myself beginning my third series of devotionals regarding A Session of Prayer. Little did I know in January 2007 that this would become as much a part of my legislative experience as reading bills and making coffee. In the beginning this was just a way to get what the Lord was teaching me through this process down on paper. I have come to realize that the Lord is multi-tasking and is teaching us all the same things. It is amazing (though it shouldn’t be) how often the lessons being taught here in the Capitol apply elsewhere.

For those of you not tuned into the process, the Texas House is going through some transitional growing pains. The election in November resulted in a super majority of Republicans. There has been a heated race for the position of Speaker of the House since November. Today the Republican Caucus will meet to discuss the issue. Without going into the who, what or whys of the issue, let me just say that all three candidates are republicans. It is an issue that has friends and colleagues disagreeing with one another - in some cases vehemently. I am not disappointed that it is a meeting to which staff will not be invited to attend.

So, rather than pontificate on what the members should do, it may just be best that we all remember the first nine verses of Proverbs 2 which discuss the value of wisdom.

My son, if you receive my words,
And treasure my commands within you,
So that you incline your ear to wisdom.
And apply your heart to understanding;
If you seek her as silver,
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
Then you will understand the fear of the Lord,
And find the knowledge of God.
For the Lord gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;
He stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
He is a shield to those who walk uprightly;
He guards the paths of justice,
And he preserves the way of His saints.
Then you will understand righteousness and justice,
Equity and every good path.

Today as you go about your business, remember to pray for wisdom for your elected officials. The decisions they make affect every aspect of your daily life.

Lord, I pray for wisdom and understanding for the decisions the members will be making about their leadership today. May your mercy and grace fill that meeting room and allow them to communicate and disagree with one another without becoming disagreeable. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment