Friday, January 21, 2011

Good Reminder for a Friday Morning

Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips. Psalm 141:3

Whoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from troubles. Proverbs 21:23

The Lord has blessed me with a quick wit, a sense of humor, and a tendency to say that thing that everybody else was thinking but was smart enough to not articulate. I generally say what I think, am direct enough for there to be no question about what I mean, and try not to say anything behind someone’s back that I would not say to their face. That is a skill set that works well in this environment.

Except when it doesn’t.

The years have taught me to incorporate some wisdom and tact in expressing my observations and opinions. And, over the years, the Lord has been so good to show me His mercy and grace that I finally realized my responsibility to extend that to those around me. (Yes, what you see these days is the kinder, gentler me.) But, that hasn’t stopped my bluntness from setting some people aback.

So, reading in Psalms and proverbs the admonition to “watch the door of my lips” and “guard your mouth and tongue” reminds me that I remain a work in progress.

Lord, it is easy to remember to watch what I say when there is nobody in the room. Help me to remember the rest of the time. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment