Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Closed Door

The horse is prepared for the day of battle, but deliverance is of the Lord. Proverbs 21:31

In a rare move, one of my staffers just shut my office door, leaving me alone with my computer to write the devotional.

For the past week the urgent has been taking precedence over the important in my life. My calendar no longer reflects all of my duties. The prompt to indicate whether an issue is of low, medium or high importance makes me chuckle. At this point, only the items threatening to go nuclear which are ranking as both urgent and important are making the list at all. I have to prioritize from there, determining which on can be pushed aside just long enough to complete what is right before me.

My weekend was sacrificed to preparation for a bill hearing we will have this afternoon. My afternoon will be spent in the hearing. Listening with one ear, working on another bill hearing for tomorrow and reading legislation that will be coming up on the floor in the weeks to come. Going home in the evening is not getting off of work, it is merely changing where I sit while I read. Doing only one thing at a time is no longer a luxury I can afford.

And, can I be perfectly honest with you? I’m not as young as I used to be.

After 18 years of this grueling schedule, I have to admit, I love it! It is a joy and a blessing to know that you are where you are supposed to be and doing what you are supposed to be doing. My job is to prepare the legislator with whom I work for the day of battle. But, after I do all I can do, I trust the Lord to do the rest.

Now, having carved five minutes out of my day to do the important, I am prepared to open up the office door and let the urgent back in.

Thank you, Lord, that you for the Peace You give in the midst of chaos. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment