Thursday, March 31, 2011

Start Counting

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. James 1:2

If forced to choose, I suppose that one of my favorite modern day inventions is the snooze button. Think about it. When people had to get up with the rooster crowing, the only viable snooze button was a fried chicken dinner. Today we have the luxury of rolling over, pushing a button and postponing the inevitable for a few more minutes. By the end of the day the extra twenty minutes won’t account for much, but It was a luxury I enjoyed this morning.

And today is a day to enjoy any luxury we can find.

Debate begins this morning on a supplemental appropriations bill and the full appropriations bill is scheduled for tomorrow. The past few days have been consumed with reading the bills and the proposed amendments. Personally, my brain is full and numbers are beginning to dribble out of my ears. But, not to worry, there are other much better qualified people who are reviewing the bill for the benefit of the citizens of Texas. (I hope.)

An eternal optimist, I’m not really expecting the next few days to be all that bad. But, just in case, there is a change of clothes and a toothbrush in my backpack.

Just a reminder to my fellow staff here at the Capitol:

1) This is not new, we do it every session.
2) The day will not last forever. It will just seem like it does.
3) You will win some and you will lose some.
4) The Lord will not fall off of His throne, regardless of what happens.

So, my advice to you is to start counting it all joy, because you will be tested today.

And, when you get filled with that joy, remember to tell your face. There will be a lot of long faces and short tempers in the building today. However, your joy can be contagious.

And, even if it isn’t contagious, it will keep people wondering what you are up to.

Lord, may your joy be our strength this day and forever. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment