Monday, March 14, 2011

Your Comforts Delight my Soul

In the multitude of my anxieties within me, your comforts delight my soul. Psalm 94:19

What do you say to comfort a person who has lost a loved one?

What do you say to a family who has lost a home or business to a flood or hurricane?

What do you say to a nation that has been devastated by earthquake and tsunami?

Throughout the weekend we found ourselves turning to hear the news about the earthquakes in japan. I find myself unable to actually comprehend the horror of the situation. One minute people were going about their daily business, thinking about what would be for dinner that night. The next minute buildings collapsed and soon after, entire cities were swept away in the tsunami. As if that were not enough, rescue efforts are hampered by continuing aftershocks with the potential for additional tsunamis. And, their nuclear reactors are melting down. The people need food, water and shelter.

Like Job’s friends, I find myself at a loss of words.

The situation does, however, put the Texas budget into perspective. Given a “crisis” to solve, I’d have to say our task appears easier than Japan’s.

Lord, we pray for your peace that passes all understanding to be with the people of Japan. My Your comforts delight their souls, even in the midst of this great tragedy. And, Lord, we pray that You will help us all to keep Your eternal perspective on each task you put before us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment